Marketing & Communications Specialist
The largest watershed organization in New Jersey, Raritan Headwaters Association protects, preserves and improves water quality and other natural resources of the Raritan River headwaters region through efforts in science, education, advocacy, land preservation and stewardship.
RHA, based in Bedminster, NJ, was formed by the 2011 merger of two effective conservation groups, the Upper Raritan Watershed Association and the South Branch Watershed Association, both founded in 1959 to engage New Jersey residents in safeguarding water sources and natural ecosystems. Our organization is a strong voice in advocating for sound land use policies. We are a leader in environmental education and outreach, and for our work in water quality monitoring, habitat restoration, land preservation and stewardship.
Raritan Headwaters’ Board of Trustees recently approved a new strategic plan aimed at increasing our impact in science, education and advocacy. The plan calls for building organizational strength and sustainability by expanding our staff in science, fund raising, communications and other key areas.
We are currently seeking a creative, strategic and tactical Marketing & Communications Specialist to plan and implement RHA’s marketing, public relations and social media initiatives.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist will be a member of our Development Team, working closely with management, program staff, volunteers and partners to raise awareness and visibility among constituents and to plan and execute strategies to support the delivery of RHA’s mission.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a marketing plan across RHA’s discrete audiences in collaboration with the Management team
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with local, regional and state media outlets to leverage publicity of the organization’s programs, mission and scope of work
- Implement and oversee activities connected with public relations, media relations, branding and advertising, research and analysis, digital and mobile campaigns, publications, database management, and promotional relationships
- Set and guide marketing messages across all communication platforms –website, social media, print collateral, media outlets—to consistently articulate RHA’s mission. Ensure that RHA is viewed as the primary source of knowledge and information within its diverse network and constituent base.
- Generate and solicit topical and engaging online content that leads to measurable action by the targeted audience. Decide appropriate platform(s) for message delivery (who, what, where, when).
- Use content management systems to ensure regular and timely posting of new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events)
- Manage and produce print and digital publications, press releases and presentation materials
- Maintain knowledge of trends and best practices in marketing and communications, especially as they relate to nonprofit conservation associations
- Report status and metrics to Management Team
- Participate in Development and other activities designed to promote awareness about RHA. Work with the Development team in cultivation and stewardship of major donors where appropriate.
- Manage media contacts, contractors, interns, volunteers, and partners according to RHA policies
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field and three years experience in public relations, communications or marketing, preferably with a non-profit and/or environmental organization
- Excellent written and speaking skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing both social as well as traditional media outlets and relationships
- Detail oriented and successful in deadline-driven environments
- Effective contributor in team environments with strong interpersonal skills
- Experience in Constant Contact (or similar emarketing service), WordPress webpage management, Photoshop (or similar) preferred. Familiar with InDesign, Word, Excel
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time, multiple funding sources and processes, and use resources of the organization to accomplish a wide variety of initiatives
- High energy and collaborative with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Solid business acumen, project management and problem-solving skills
- Passion for the mission of RHA
Reports to Development Director. May be required to travel around the region/state. May be required to work some evenings and weekends.
Based at scenic Fairview Farm in Bedminster, NJ, this full-time position offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Groundwater Monitoring Intern (Paid)
The Raritan Headwaters Association (RHA) is a non-profit conservation organization located in Bedminster, New Jersey. RHA is on a mission to protect clean water in the 470 square-mile North and South Branch watersheds of the Raritan River.
About the Position
RHA is seeking candidates for a paid Groundwater Monitoring Intern position for the fall of 2015. The intern will assist in the following:
- Help develop a plan for expanding the existing well testing program into municipalities where RHA is not presently conducting well testing
- Identify properties within sewer service areas using available GIS data layers
- Search municipal records to identify residents with private wells
- Organize contact information in a database
- Initiate outreach to newly identified well owners
Qualified applicants will be working towards a degree or will have completed a degree in environmental science, biology, ecology, environmental policy, land use planning or a related field. Applicants must have their own transportation and be willing to travel to various locations in the watershed. Prefer experience with ArcGIS. Preferred candidates should be living within commuting distance of Bedminster, NJ.
Hours: 10-20 hours/week depending on program schedule
Start and End Dates: Late August 2015 through January 2016
Compensation: $1,600 Stipend, mileage reimbursement
How to Apply: EMAIL ONLY. Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Kristi MacDonald, Director of Science.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
For more information please email email@example.com or call 908-234-1852 x322