Member, Volunteer and Events Coordinator
The largest watershed organization in New Jersey, Raritan Headwaters Association protects, preserves and improves water quality and other natural resources of the Raritan River headwaters region through efforts in science, education, advocacy, land preservation and stewardship.
Our organization, based in Bedminster, NJ was formed by the 2011 merger of two effective conservation groups, the Upper Raritan and South Branch watershed associations, both founded in 1959 to engage New Jersey residents in safeguarding water sources and natural ecosystems. Our organization is a strong voice in advocating for sound land use policies. We are a leader in environmental education and outreach, and for our work in water quality monitoring, habitat restoration, land preservation and stewardship.
Raritan Headwaters’ Board of Trustees recently approved a new strategic plan aimed at increasing our impact in science, education and advocacy. The plan calls for building organizational strength and sustainability by expanding our staff in science, fund raising, communications and other key areas.
We are currently seeking a Member, Volunteer and Events Coordinator, who will report to the Development Director and work with staff, board members, volunteers, partners and members of the community to inspire interest in our water protection mission and engage the public in our programs, events and activities throughout the region.
The Member, Volunteer and Events Coordinator will help build and sustain our important membership base. S/he will generate member leads, develop and maintain a membership and volunteer recruitment list, and assist with design and implementation of member and volunteer recruitment and retention programs. S/he will be an important public voice and face of our organization, helping promote Raritan Headwaters and our mission. This individual will be highly organized and will have strong verbal and written communications skills.
The Member, Volunteer and Events Coordinator will:
- Manage membership and volunteer databases, track volunteer hours, and develop monthly reports on membership and volunteer activity.
- Coordinate with other staff to determine and fulfill volunteer resource needs and scheduling.
- Recruit, orient, train and support community volunteers to participate in all Raritan Headwaters programs, events and activities.
- Supervise and assist in supervising volunteers in the field, in the office, at events and in other projects.
- Recognize and celebrate volunteers; develop lead volunteers and retain long-term volunteers capable of working independently.
- Track and maintain member and volunteer participation and engagement data that clearly demonstrate public involvement in Raritan Headwaters Association.
- Plan, manage and coordinate all aspects of Raritan Headwaters events.
- Identify and invite members and volunteers to events.
- Assist the Development Director in creating member programs and events that will attract new members and engage and retain existing members.
- Provide excellent customer service for members and volunteers.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of board, staff, partners, donors, volunteers and community members.
- Assist in development and implementation of Raritan Headwaters’ marketing plan, aimed at reaching a variety of constituencies across the region.
- Assist with generating online content that will engage diverse public audiences, leading to measurable involvement and action in water protection programs.
- Ensure accountability by providing regular status reports and metrics to the Management Team.
- Participate in development and other activities designed to promote awareness about water protection issues and Raritan Headwaters; work with the development team in donor cultivation and stewardship.
Qualifications of the successful candidate include:
- Passion for the mission of Raritan Headwaters Association.
- A bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience in event management, customer service, public relations, communications or a related professional discipline.
- High levels of efficiency, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Willingness to travel around the region and to work evenings and weekends when required.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communications skills and the ability to establish and maintain relationships and interactions with internal and external individuals; ability to demonstrate flexibility and humor.
- Experience using social media, websites and common productivity and communications applications. (Graphic design skill a plus.)
Based at scenic Fairview Farm in Bedminster, NJ, this full-time position offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com.
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION INTERN POSITION (Paid)
About the Position: The Raritan Headwaters Association (RHA) is a non-profit conservation organization located in Bedminster, New Jersey.
RHA is seeking candidates for a paid Environmental Education Intern position for the summer of 2015. The intern will assist in the following:
- Prepare educational materials (supplies, worksheets) for educational programs
- Participate as streamside educator at community day camps
- Assist with outreach and some data entry
- Attend classroom and field programs to act as support and take photos
- Fill in as a substitute to teach lessons as needed
- Opportunity to run programs independently and participate as a guest educator
- Post photos on social media outlets and prepare written material for RHA blog, press releases
- Develop new initiatives at RHA’s Summer Nature Day Programs such as composting system, geocache creation, etc.
Qualifications: Qualified applicants will be working towards a degree or will have completed a degree in elementary education, psychology, biology, ecology, environmental policy or a related field. Applicants must be comfortable working outdoors with children and have a basic understanding of conservation practices. Preferred candidates should be living within commuting distance of Bedminster, NJ.
Hours: 16-20 hours/week depending on program schedule
Start and End Dates: Early-June through mid-August. (Possible second internship available in fall of 2015)
Compensation: $1,600 Stipend, mileage reimbursement
How to Apply: EMAIL ONLY: Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Lauren Theis at LTheis@raritanheadwaters.org
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
For more information please email LTheis@raritanheadwaters.org or call 908-234-1852 x314