Raritan Headwaters offers guided programs for all levels of scouting. Our staff naturalists can help scouts on their way to earn merit badges or work toward larger goals like Gold Award or Eagle Scout. We can host large scout events, including night hikes, campfires, service projects and more!
Our headquarters, Fairview Farm Wildlife Preserve, has indoor meeting spaces as well as plenty of outdoor space and trails for exploration and for guided activities. We also have a large fire pit that is perfect for night programs!
Merit Badge Offerings
Badge programs last 1 1/2 hours, and can be held after school or on the weekend. At least one adult chaperone must be present at all times. Cost: $150 per 12 scouts
We can help you with any achievement that focuses on the natural world, including:
- Animal Habitats
- Water Ecology and Conservation
- Bird Study
- Environmental Science
- Insect Study
- Reptiles and Amphibians
- Soil and Water Conservation
Contact Lauren Theis for more information and scheduling, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Silver and Gold Awards, and Eagle Scout Projects
We are also happy to work with scouts on larger projects such as Silver and Gold Awards, and Eagle Scout projects. Projects may include (but not limited to):
- Build and install Eastern Bluebird, American Kestrel and/or Screech Owl nest boxes at a local preserve, park or school
- Arrange a stream clean up in your town
- Organize an invasive plant removal/native tree planting at a local preserve
- Build a trail boardwalk
- Help your school become River-Friendly (https://www.njriverfriendly.org/school)
- Develop an educational campaign to alert members of the community to local environmental issues
- Build and installing rain barrels at your school or other public building
- Plant a native pollinator/butterfly garden in a public space, park or school
- Plant a rain garden in a public space, park or school
Click the links below to see some examples of scout projects completed with Raritan Headwaters.
For information and scheduling availability, contact Director of Education Lauren Theis